How to prepare your motorbike for the seasonAndré Schmitt
When the season starts again, it’s time to get the bike out of the garage again and prepare it properly. There are some important steps you should take to ensure your motorbike is in good working order and ready for a ride in the sun. Here are some tips and tricks to get your bike ready for the season:
- Checking and charging the battery After your motorbike has been sitting over the winter, it is likely that the battery is discharged. So before you set off, make sure the battery is charged and the bike starts without problems. For this you need a charger for motorbike batteries.
- Check the tyres It is important to check the tyres for damage and wear. Check the tread depth, air pressure and look for cracks or other damage. Tyres that have been on a cold ground during the winter may be damaged and may need to be replaced. If the tyres are damaged or worn, you should replace them with new ones to ensure safe driving.
- Check and top up fluids Check the engine oil, coolant, brake fluid and transmission oil. Make sure the fluids are at the right level and top them up if necessary. Old fluids should be replaced to ensure optimum performance.
- Check the brakes Check the brake pads and brake fluid. If the brake pads are worn or the brake fluid is old or contaminated, you should replace them.
- Check chain and drive train Check the chain and drive train for wear and lubrication. Clean the chain thoroughly and lubricate it with chain oil. Make sure that the chain is tight enough and that the sprocket and chain wheel show no obvious signs of wear.
- Check lights Make sure all lights are working, including indicators, brake lights and headlights.
- Cleaning and care Clean the motorbike thoroughly and polish it with a motorbike wax. A thorough cleaning of the motorbike removes dirt and salt that have accumulated on the machine during the winter and protects the motorbike from corrosion.
These steps will ensure that your bike is ready for the season. It is important to maintain your motorbike regularly to ensure optimum performance and safety.
Sources and links:
- “How to prepare your motorcycle for spring riding” (https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/how-to-prepare-your-motorcycle-for-spring-riding/)
- “Motorcycle Spring Maintenance Checklist” (https://www.ridermagazine.com/2019/03/11/motorcycle-spring-maintenance-checklist/)
- “Spring Motorcycle Maintenance Checklist” (https://www.cycleworld.com/spring-motorcycle-maintenance-checklist/)
- “Preparing Your Motorcycle for Spring Riding” (https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/preparing-your-motorcycle-for-spring-riding)
Performing these maintenance steps regularly will keep your bike in good condition and ready for the season. Stay safe and enjoy the freedom on your motorbike!