How you can best protect your motorbike from theftAndré Schmitt
As a biker, you know the freedom and thrill of riding. But with this freedom comes the responsibility to protect your bike from theft. In this blog post, we will show you how best to protect your motorbike by taking precautions to keep it safe and by taking steps to recover it if it is stolen. We will also discuss some of the latest technologies and innovations that can help protect your bike even better.
- Use a good lock
A good lock is the basis for the safety of your motorbike. Use a good quality lock that is difficult to pick and always use it when you park your motorbike. There are different types of locks, including U-locks, chain locks and disc locks. All are good, but the best lock for you depends on your individual needs and budget. Some of the best locks on the market are:
- ABUS Granit Extreme Plus 59: A robust U-lock that is difficult to pick and offers a high standard of security.
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini: A U-lock with an 18 mm shackle that is considered one of the most secure locks on the market.
- Xena XX-6: A disc lock that is light and easy to carry, but still offers a high level of security.
- Always connect your motorbike
Always hitch your motorbike to a fixed object, such as a bicycle stand, lamppost or railing. If there is no way to plug your motorbike into something, park it in a well-lit place where it is visible to passers-by. The more security measures you take, the less likely it is that thieves will target your motorbike.
- Install an alarm system
An alarm system is a good way to protect your motorbike and deter potential thieves. There are different types of alarm systems, including motion sensors that sound the alarm if someone tampers with your motorbike and GPS trackers that allow you to track and locate your motorbike in real time. Some of the best alarm systems on the market are:
- Scorpio i900R: An advanced alarm system with motion sensor and remote controlled functions.
- LoJack: A GPS tracking alarm system that works in cooperation with the police to recover stolen vehicles.
- Mark your motorbike
Another way to protect your motorbike from theft is to mark it. This can deter potential thieves as it is more difficult to sell stolen items that are clearly marked as stolen. There are several ways to mark your motorbike, including engraving your vehicle identification number (VIN) on important parts of your motorbike or applying stickers with unique markings.
- Secure your motorbike in a locked garage
If possible, park your motorbike in a locked garage or secure storage area. This is especially important if you are not going to use your motorbike for a long period of time, such as during the winter season. A locked garage protects your motorbike from theft and also from the elements.
- Watch for suspicious activity
Be alert to suspicious activity in your surroundings. If you notice someone watching your motorbike or moving suspiciously around your motorbike, you should act immediately and notify the police or the owner of the property where your motorbike is parked.
- Report the theft immediately
If your motorbike is stolen, you should report the theft to the police immediately. The sooner the police are informed about the theft, the higher the chances that your motorbike will be found and returned. Also have a detailed description of your motorbike and the serial numbers of important parts to help investigators find your motorbike.
- Use modern technologies
Technology has made enormous strides in recent years to prevent motorbike theft. For example, there are GPS trackers that can track your bike in real time. These trackers can also send you notifications when your bike is moved or when it approaches a predefined area. There are also smart locks that can be controlled via an app and open automatically when you approach your motorbike. These technologies can provide an extra layer of security and prevent the theft of your motorbike.
Overall, there are many ways to protect your motorbike from theft. A combination of measures may be the best option to keep your bike safe. Use modern technology, invest in a good lock and always lock your motorbike to a fixed object to minimise the risk of theft. If your motorbike is stolen, report the theft to the police immediately and have a detailed description of your motorbike and important parts ready to help in the search. With these tips, you can ensure that you protect your bike as much as possible and continue to enjoy the freedom and thrill of outdoor riding.
Sources and links:
- “How to protect your motorcycle from theft” von Esurance: https://www.esurance.com/info/motorcycle/how-to-protect-your-motorcycle-from-theft
- “10 tips for motorcycle theft prevention” von Motorcycle Legal Foundation: https://motorcyclelegalfoundation.com/motorcycle-theft-prevention/
- “Motorcycle Theft Prevention: How to Keep Your Bike Safe” von RideApart: https://www.rideapart.com/articles/253026/motorcycle-theft-prevention-how-to-keep-your-bike-safe/
- “GPS Tracking: The Best Anti-Theft Device” von Cycle World: https://www.cycleworld.com/gps-tracking-best-anti-theft-device/
- “10 Best Motorcycle Locks (Review) in 2021” von Car Bibles: https://www.carbibles.com/best-motorcycle-locks-reviewed/
Es ist wichtig zu beachten, dass keine Schutzmaßnahme 100%ig vor Diebstahl schützen kann. Allerdings können die oben genannten Tipps dazu beitragen, das Risiko eines Diebstahls zu minimieren und dein Motorrad sicherer zu machen. Wenn du weitere Fragen hast oder spezifische Anliegen bezüglich der Sicherheit deines Motorrads hast, solltest du dich an einen örtlichen Motorradclub oder Händler wenden, der dir weitere Empfehlungen geben kann.